Did you know when you lose a job you go through the stages of grief? I didn't know it was a thing until I experienced it myself. I'm not ashamed to admit that the first four to five days that I was terminated, I did a lot of crying. It wasn't out of anger. It was about being upset about letting people down that I had been working with, not finishing projects that I had been working on, and not feeling valued after working my butt off well beyond my contracted time for nearly 12 years. It was all thrown away with an air of smugness, and never truly stating what I did wrong.
Eight weeks later, and you still do not know what you did "wrong". There are other things you have learned. One being that co-workers, whom you thought of as friends, were never friends. It has been amazing to see who has reached out to stay connected, and who has completely ignored me. It has been a learning experience. The most ironic part is that my former co-teachers, or teachers that I worked with as an administrator, are the ones sticking with me. None of my fellow administrators have reached out. Teachers truly are the backbone of education.
A huge lesson I learned as well, was that I need to be more careful with my files. The day I was walked out, I lost access to all of my drives. Anything I had made or used teaching in the classroom is gone, all of my supervisor reviews are gone, my license and coursework are gone, and I could keep going. Normally, we leaves drives open for those separated to grab the files they need before we lock it. I guess I was an exception. Six years in the classroom, and six years as an administrator, and all of that work was gone. I was devastated. I felt like I had nothing to show for myself when I went job hunting.
I found some light at the end of the tunnel when I started to think about my options for creating a professional portfolio. I was fortunate to be involved in a lot of projects for my district in the past 6 years, and there was a lot of information on their public site. I spent time scouring the site to grab any relevant information to help build my professional portfolio. A platform my district used actually posted on LinkedIn articles they had recently wrote from interviewing districts. My district happened to be one, and it was my interview from this previous April. It was perfect timing.
With all this being said...
- Don't over dedicate yourself to someone who isn't loyal to you
- Ensure your important files you need for licenses and such are stored in a personal location
- When a culture is no longer a culture you want, don't stay
- Your family and you should always come first


No comments:
Post a Comment