Pages

Friday, August 28, 2026

No First Day of School in 12 Years

 A few weeks ago, my former district returned to school. It was the first time in 12 years I wasn't a part of it. Well, my first year I was hired 5 weeks in, but same thing! Either way, it felt really weird. There was no stress in preparing for a class or deploying district technology. It felt really good. 

There were friends, that are teachers, that reached out to ask questions on why items in technology were or were not happening. I had to explain I wasn't there, it used to be my job, but I don't know if anyone knew I did that. Either way, it wasn't my problem. My Facebook friend suggestions were interesting. It was completely filled with staff that I normally supported at back to school time. It appeared they were looking for me. I would say sorry, but I stand by my statement that "I did nothing wrong."

Things get even more interesting. A friend of mine had a principal reach out asking if they knew where I had gone. They shared that it appears my former department is in shambles. I don't wish that on my former friends, but it kind of is karma for the district. They truly did wrong on multiple good people. 

I'm now two weeks into my job, and I LOVE it. The culture is laid back. I haven't met a person that wasn't welcoming. I'm still adjusting to the pace as they don't work like everything is on fire, but I'm sure I'll acclimate pretty quick. 

Today, I had the opportunity to network with others in the business world, and that have some hand in technology. It was interesting to see all the different jobs they had, and to hear all the different ways we are using AI. Many struggled with my job title as they assumed I did some coding in my job. I felt like I confused them when I explained what I actually do. It truly is the analyst part that is throwing them off. that is unique to the company as I work closely to FinOps and Procurement. I see today as a step in the direction of building new connections outside the education world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment